Walk and discover one of the most beautiful countries on Earth.
Explore the scenic landscape of Eastern Norway, best enjoyed on foot. Discover the rich Norwegian heritage that has grown out of this magnificent land. On this centre-based walking holiday we combine walking in wild reindeer country with fascinating cultural experiences.
While enjoying nature and wilderness we also gain insights into local history and culture, starting with sites created for reindeer hunting 6000 years ago. We visit Maihaugen outdoor living museum and the historic stavechurch at Ringebu. We will hear stories of life at the summer farm over a traditional lunch of local foods.
• Discover the Nordic flora and fauna, migratory and ground nesting birds, birds of prey and rare arctic alpine plants
• See how the forces of water, geology and time have created this vast landscape
• Enjoy a traditional lunch and storytelling at the hotel’s summer farm
• Guided tour to Ringebu Stavechurch and the Vicarage art gallery and garden
• Visit to Maihaugen open-air, living museum
• Enjoy our renowned Norwegian Buffet of traditional dishes
• Relax in our comfortable, family run mountain hotel
• Ideal for solo travellers, friends and couples who would like to share their walking holiday with like-minded people.
Price: from 15000 NOK
per person, sharing a twin/double room.
Dates and Tour codes:
SNC1 13th – 20th July 2019
SNC2 27th July - 3rd August 2019
SNC3 10th August – 17th August 2019
Easy to moderate for the active traveller
8-16km walks, a maximum of 415m ascent on tracks and hill paths with some rocky paths and muddy areas.
We use short transfers to help us explore the area.
Small group size: minimum 4 maximum 10
Day 1. Arrival day
Dinner 18.30 We meet after dinner for our trek briefing.
Day 2. The Pilgrim’s Road and Ringebu Stavechurch
Walk details: 8km, 400m ascent
We start our holiday with a gentle introduction: after a short transfer we enjoy a morning walk along St Olav’s Pilgrim Road above the magnificent river valley of Gudbrandsdalen. We visit a historic hillfort and hear about St Olav and the origins of Christianity in Norway.
There follows a guided tour to Ringebu Stavechurch, one of Norway’s remaining 28 stavechurches and a visit to the Prestegard or vicarage with its garden and gallery. The gallery’s summer exhibition features work by internationally known Norwegian artists.
Day 3. Local peak Dynjefjellet, 1151m
Walk details: 12km, 250m ascent
Our start point today is a summer farm with a colourful history. A steady path leads to the summit of Dynjefjellet. The high peaks of the Rondane are visible to the north. The wild land of Venabygdsfjellet opens before us. Distant to the west are also the glaciated peaks of the Jotunheimen. Learn about the lives of the wild reindeer that migrated up here as the last ice age ended and the glaciers retreated. Humans followed the reindeer 6000 years ago and we visit the special features they created to hunt the reindeer.
Day 4. Canyons and waterfalls: Dørfallet and Myfallet
Walk details: 12.5km, 300 ascent.
The highlight of today’s hike is the walk to Dørfallet and Myfallet waterfalls. Experience for yourself the powerful force that carved this landscape.
This evening we aim to offer the Moose Safari as an optional tour, please see the note below.
Day 5. Visit to Maihaugen
A change of pace and location today as we visit Maihaugen living museum in Lillehammer, one of Europe’s largest and oldest open-air museums. The exhibitions and experiences illustrate village, rural and town life through the ages and give insights into the close relationship between people and nature.
This evening we serve our Norwegian buffet.
Day 6. Tour to Lykkesetra the hotel’s Summer farm with traditional lunch
Walk details: 12km, 270m ascent.
Another contrast again today as we walk to our summer farm, Lykkesetra, set in the meadows below Forbundsfjellet. Over a lunch of local, traditional food the farmer will tell stories about the history and folklore of summers spent in the mountains. This was always a special time of the year, much enjoyed by the farming families.
Day 7. Finnsjøvola
Walk details: 12km, 380m ascent.
Both tranquil and sublime Finnsjøvola offers us a relaxed and spectacular day. We ascend steadily through delightful pine forest to open land and sparkling lakes with views of the Rondane massif and east towards Sweden. As we walk and soak up the beautiful scenery we may be lucky enough to hear the cries of the golden plover.
Day 8. Departure after breakfast
• 7 nights accommodation in our comfortable mountain hotel
• Breakfast and evening meal buffet meals, packed lunches and filled thermos.
• Guided walks on 5 days, 1 day at Maihaugen open-air museum
• The services of our expert hiking guide
• A traditional lunch and storytelling at our summer farm
• Entry to museums and cultural sites
• Our renowned Norwegian Buffet served on Wednesday evening
• Transfers between Ringebu and the hotel at the beginning and end of your trip.
• Transfers for guiding and cultural visits
• The Peer Gynt Festival, celebrating Henrik Ibsen’s work. This festival in Gudnrandsalen, local to Venabu is one of Norway’s premier outdoor cultural events. We offer an accommodation, transfer and entry package to this superb spectacle. The Peer Gynt package can be added at the beginning or end of holidays starting 27th July 2019 and 10th August 2019.
• Moose Safari In the evening light we explore the forest in the company of a local wildlife expert and tracker to encounter the moose, King of the Forest. We make this an optional tour as we will only run our moose safaris when there is a very good chance of seeing these magnificent animals.
For more information please contact Joy O'Flanagan
To book please contact the hotel reception:
t: +47 61 29 32 00