Hike the Jotunheimen, Rondane and Dovrefjell National Parks
Challenge yourself on our most exciting adventure. Discover Norway’s wilderness with a network of hiking trails leading to plunging waterfalls, glaciers and deep valleys.
Hike far above blue lakes and enjoy vistas across the dark peaks of the Jotunheimen, home to Northern Europe’s highest mountains. Explore deep into the remote rockiness of the Rondane and the dramatic landscape of Dovrefjell.
On this centre-based walking holiday we use transfers to access some of the most famous hikes in Norway. We discover the untamed, mythical landscapes and breathtaking trails that make Norway unique.
• Stunning hikes in three National Parks: Rondane, Jotunheimen and Dovre
• Besseggen and Snøhetta: two of Norway’s most famous hikes.
• The chance of seeing Musk Ox in Dovrefjell
• Hiking in wild reindeer country
• Discover the Nordic flora and fauna, migratory and ground nesting birds, birds of prey and rare arctic alpine plants.
• See how the forces of water, geology and time have created this vast landscape
• Relax in our comfortable, family run mountain hotel
• Enjoy our renowned Norwegian Buffet of traditional dishes
• Ideal for solo travellers, friends and couples who would like to share their walking holiday with like-minded people.
Price: from 17900 NOK
per person based on a twin/double room share
Dates and Tour codes:
3NP1 29th June-6th July 2019
3NP2 17th-24th August 2019
3NP3 31st August-7th September 2019 - Trip guaranteed, places available
Challenging mountain hiking for fit, experienced hikers.
Up to 9h walking time; up to 1200m ascent; up to 24km though not on the same day.
Remote, rocky paths, one boulder field, straightforward scrambling, some exposure.
Small Group size: minimum 4 maximum 10
Day 1. Arrival day
Dinner 18.30 We meet after dinner for our trek briefing.
Day 2. Rondane National Park: Store Ramshøgda 1463m
Walk details: 18km, ascent 460m, descent 620m.
We start our week with a hike to the peak of Store Ramshøgda. We discover the Rondane, Norway’s first National Park, created to protect the genetically unique wild reindeer living here. Descending from our high point we explore an unfrequented valley where we may see merlin and or fjellvåk hunting.
Day 3. Dovrefjell, Snøhetta 2286m
Walk details: 12km, 800m ascent. Transfer: 1hour 30 min; shuttle bus to Snøheim.
There are few places on Earth where you can see musk oxen in the wild, none are as accessible as Dovrefjell National Park. Our hike to the summit of Snøhetta takes us through a land of rare arctic-alpine flora, wild reindeer and arctic foxes. The route is more challenging than the numbers would suggest as it climbs over bouldery terrain. On the summit we are above the dramatic cwm or ‘botn’ where Snøhetta’s glacier sits. The rewards for the effort are stunning views stretching to each horizon.
Day 4. Jotunheimen: Besseggen 1743m
Walk details: 14km, 1100m ascent, 1000m descent. Transfer: 1 hour 45min
Justifiably one of Norway’s most famous hikes with extraordinarily beautiful views. We take a boat along the lake Gjende to start the ascent. Our route takes us between the emerald green water of Gjende, high, dark peaks and the glacier blue water of Bessvatnet. Besseggen itself challenges us with straightforward scrambling, on good quality rock and some exposure.
Day 5. Finnsjøvola and Pika, 1157m
Walk details: 12km, 380m ascent. Transfer: 30 min
Both tranquil and sublime Finnsjøvola offers us an easier yet spectacular day to balance the week’s adventures. We ascend steadily through delightful, pine forest to open land and sparkling lakes with views of the Rondane massif and east towards Sweden. As we walk and soak up the beautiful scenery we may be lucky enough to see and hear golden plover.
Day 6. Rondane National Park: Døralseter
Walk details: 24km, 400m ascent, 700m descent. Transfer: 1 hour 30 min
Today we hike into the sculpted, elemental landscape of the Rondane massif. We make a traverse through the heart of the park, surrounded by its dramatic, imposing peaks.
Day 7. Gravskardhøgda 1767m
Walk details: 21km 1200m ascent, 1000m descent. Transfer: 50 minutes
Our final ascent in Eastern Norway will not disappoint. Wild and stunning, we hike high above Atnasjøen. Gravskardhøgda’s broad summit ridge provides outstanding 360° views. On a clear day you can see all the way from the Rondane massif to Sweden in the east.
Day 8. Departure after breakfast
• 7 nights accommodation in our comfortable mountain hotel
• Breakfast and evening meal buffet meals, packed lunches and flasks filled.
• Guided walks on 6 days
• The services of our expert hiking guides
• Boat journey on Gjende, Jotunheimen
• Our renowned Norwegian Buffet served on Wednesday evening
• Transfers to and from Ringebu at the start and end of the trip.
• All transfers for guiding
• Shuttle into Snøheim, Dovre
For more information please contact Joy O'Flanagan:
To book please contact the hotel reception:
t: +47 61 29 32 00