Enjoy wild walks and warm hospitality
Explore the Nordic mountain landscape and immerse yourself in the space and silence of wild nature. A subtle landscape: see the interplay of the high latitude light with the shape of the mountains, valleys and water. Few places on Earth can offer the active hiker such accessible wild terrain to explore on foot. On this walking holiday we make Venabu Fjellhotell our base from where we venture onto trails across the alpine tundra and deep into the boreal birch forests.
• Hike in unspoilt, wild reindeer country
• Walk in the Rondane, Norway’s first National Park
• Discover the Nordic flora and fauna, migratory and ground nesting birds, birds of prey and rare arctic alpine plants
• See how the forces of water, geology and time have created this vast landscape
• Enjoy a traditional lunch and storytelling at the hotel’s summer farm
• Relax in our comfortable, family run mountain hotel on this centre-based walking holiday
• Enjoy our renowned Norwegian Buffet of traditional dishes
• Ideal for solo travellers, friends and couples who would like to share their walking holiday with like-minded people
• Moose Safari – an optional extra. In the evening light we explore the forest in the company of a local wildlife expert and tracker to encounter the moose, King of the Forest.
Price: from 15000 NOK
per person, sharing a twin/double room
20th-27th July 2019
24th-31st August 2019
14th – 21st September 2019
Intermediate mountain walking for experienced hikers
Typically 12-16km per day with two longer days, maximum 490m ascent in any one day. Longest day 24km.
Mountain paths which may be rocky and the occasional rocky step.
We use short transfers to help us explore the area.
Small group size: minimum 4 maximum 10
Day 1. Local peaks: Dynjefjellet 1151m and Svartfjell 1154m
Walk details: 13km Ascent: 420m
The stunning 360° views from each of these peaks give us a taste of what lies ahead this week. The high peaks of the Rondane are visible to the north. The wild land of Venabygdsfjellet opens before us. Distant to the west are also the glaciated peaks of the Jotunheimen, home to Northern Europe’s highest mountains. Learn about the lives of the wild reindeer that migrated here as the last ice age ended and the glaciers retreated. Humans followed the reindeer 6000 years ago and we will see the marks they left behind.
Day 2. Rondane National Park: Store Ramshøgda 1463m
Walk details: 18km, ascent 460m
Today’s feature is a hike to the peak of Store Ramshøgda. We discover the Rondane, Norway’s first National Park, created to protect the genetically unique wild reindeer living here. Descending from our high point we explore an unfrequented valley where we may see merlin and fjellvåk hunting.
Day 3. Rondane National Park: Døralseter
Walk details: 24km, 400m ascent, 700m descent.
Today we take a transfer and hike into the sculpted, elemental landscape of the Rondane massif. We make a traverse through the heart of the park. Dramatic and imposing, the Rondane National Park is an ideal location to experience the high mountains of Norway. This is our longest day, 7-8 hours hiking.
Day 4. Canyons and waterfalls: Dørfallet and Myfallet
Walk details: 15km 300 ascent.
The highlights of today’s hike, direct from the hotel, are sure to be the waterfalls of Dørfallet and Myfallet. Experience for yourself the powerful force that carved this landscape.
This evening we serve our Norwegian buffet.
Day 5. Tour to Lykkesetra the hotel’s Summer farm with traditional lunch
Walk details: 16km, 490m ascent
Another contrast again today as we visit the summer farm of Lykkesetra set in the meadows below Forbundsfjellet. The farmer will tell stories of the history and folklore surrounding summers spent in the mountains. In keeping with this we serve a lunch of traditional, local foods.
Day 6. Finnsjøvola
Walk details: 12km, 380m ascent.
Both tranquil and sublime Finnsjøvola offers us an easier yet spectacular day. We ascend steadily through delightful, pine forest to open land and sparkling lakes with views of the Rondane massif and east towards Sweden. As we walk and soak up the beautiful scenery we may be lucky enough to see and hear golden plover.
• 7 nights accommodation in our comfortable mountain hotel
• Breakfast and evening meal buffet meals, packed lunches and flasks filled.
• Guided walks on 6 days,
• The services of our expert hiking guide
• A traditional lunch and storytelling at our summer farm
• Our renowned Norwegian Buffet served on Wednesday evening
• Transfers to and from Ringebu at the start and end of the trip.
• All transfers for guiding
Optional extra: Moose Safari - We make this an optional tour as we will only run our moose safaris when there is a very good chance of seeing these magnificent animals.
For more information please contact Joy O'Flanagan: